Monday, June 14, 2010

Sending our love to other parts of the world

Eve: Mommy, where’s Lolo?
Me: In Africa
Eve: Where’s Mamala, Papalo?
Me: In New Zealand
Eve: How bout Tita Judith, Kuya Ribo and Ate Kimmy?
Me: In Cebu
Eve: Where is Kuya Seth and Ate Babu?
Me: In Manila
Eve: Where’s Ninang Ben?
Me: In Africa, with Lolo
Eve: No! In Disneyland lang!


Everyday, my little girl always asks me the whereabouts of our loved ones. I never once hesitated to answer her because I want her to realize that our family may be in different places but still the love and care is always there.

I remembered when I was still a kid, I would feel sad everytime dad would leave for work. But then I’d feel giddy again knowing he’ll come home in time for dinner. Back then, I look forward to family gatherings or birthday celebrations because I know everyone, from my lolo and lola to my aunts and uncles plus cousins will be there to have a great time.

But now, times have changed. We have to be extra strong to accept the complexities that comes with an unstable economy (or should I say government?). Opportunities overseas became a window for our family members to financially sustain the needs of other loved ones. My dad, who I admire for his great dedication at work and impeccable skills in plantation management is now reaping the fruits of his labor. For 5 years, he ignored the big time offer to be a chief engineer in a British owned company in Africa because he didn’t want to be away from us. It wasn’t until the realization of economic crunch in the country that made him decide to accept the offer.
I am a working mom, who earns just enough and survives with the help of my parents and my husband’s relatives and yet planning our life in 5 years times seems vague for me. I credit it to the fact that I don’t feel secure in my own country to give what is due to its struggling citizens who incessantly pay their taxes rightfully.

I never loose hope, though. It’s a blessing everytime I wake up and feel God’s shower of graces upon us. I’m grateful that my daughter understands why some of our families are worlds apart. I’m thankful that each day brings new hope for us. I’m praying to God for wisdom so my husband and I may lead our kids to where and what God wants them to be. I’m praying for our country as well, and wisdom for its leaders to serve rightfully.
*This post is dedicated to our loved ones from all over the world. Sending our kisses and prayers to Dad, Brenda, Mama, Papa, Tito Noel, Tita Lily, Lynell, Lyzel and Azreal. Also to Tita Judith, Tito Koko, Ribo, Kim, Tito Nikko, Mommy Merz and Daddy Pitt.

0 comments:

Post a Comment