Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Guerilla Gardening


With parents having the knack for growing anything green (except marijuana!lol), I have been wanting to start a garden of my own. Given the limited space in our home, perhaps herbal plants in pots will suit me best. I used the term guerilla gardening because i wanted to transform a portion of our unused space into a bountiful area of fruit-bearing & herbal plants. But of course, before anything else, I should do my homework, research and find contacts which will all be helpful in making my first step in gardening.





That's me at the center (5th from left ) together with Ms. Cristie Angeles of SM Foundation and the Bulacan farmers during the Harvest Festival in San Ildefonso





One of the perks of being in public relations is it allows me to meet various people with different interests. During a Farm Festival, I got to interact with the local farmers from different towns in Bulacan. A joint project of SM Foundation, the Provincial Government of Bulacan and the Department of Agriculture, a training program on High-Value Crops was conducted to provide a sustainable livelihood program to marginalized farmers. The program includes new techniques on seedling cultivation, land preparation, pest control, ground management, accounting, harvesting and marketing.
I wonder if after I'm satisfied with herbal planting would I ever consider veggie farming... Well, I'll take it one step at a time, who knows, in 5 years I'm already picking organic veggies from my own garden. Wink*

0 comments:

Post a Comment