Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My Take on Diabetes in the family

It’s just now that I had the courage to write about the illness in our family that already took away 3 of my aunts and a few more of our relatives. In a short span of time, my father’s three sisters died because of complications from diabetes. Now, my mom’s only sister has it and I have been praying hard for her condition to get better.
Since I became a mom, I overreact at the littlest things that affect my daughter’s health. With Eve, a minor case of fever would make me stay up 24 hours just to make sure her temperature gets down to normal. She only has two pairs of shorts because I always make her wear a pajama so she wouldn’t get bruised from playing or get bitten by insects. Her pedia and dentist appointments are included in our yearly agenda. I am proud to brag that I breastfed her exclusively for 10 months. If only I wasn’t diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, I would have pursued breastfeeding until she’s 2 or 3 years old. When it comes to Eve, health is one of my priorities.
Yesterday was my aunt’s (my mom’s older sister) 71st birthday. I am so thankful that God had been generous for loaning her to us. She’s like a second mom to me and my siblings. It’s been a while since I last visited her. Though we live in a compound, I seldom drop by at their house because I was so preoccupied with work lately. Yesterday’s visit made me slow down my pace. Think things through.
Seeing my aunt so fragile is like seeing my mom 12 years from now. The chronic condition has taken a toll on her appearance. She’s a vague picture of the vibrant woman I used to know. Beside her bed, I looked stupid. I wanted to make her feel better but I felt helpless. I tried to talk to her but she just stared at me blankly. All I did was to kiss her, touch her hair and hand. I wore a mask that night because I had to hide the sadness that tears me until now.
Still, I saw the fighter in her. She’s struggling with the difficulty of her illness but she’s hanging on. Little by little, her body is deteriorating yet her courage is soaring. My aunt can’t walk anymore and it made me realize it’s now my turn to take her on a stroll. She can’t speak but I know she listens as I share Eve’s achievements. I’m not sure if she remembers me but for every gentle touch I lay on her face, she closes her eyes deeply as if saying "Hmmm, that feels good".
I wouldn’t be able to alter the fact that diabetes is in our family. But its never too late for me to start our lifestyle modification. I am thankful for the available resources that’ll keep me educated on how to prevent my children from acquiring or developing diabetes. Aware that she is also at high-risk, my own mom is currently practicing a healthy routine which includes an hour of brisk-walking in the morning, 30-minute aerobics exercise before noon and a dose of optimism to keep her going. Although sometimes her appetite lures her into food temptation, she manages to balance it with fruits and vegetables. As for my daughter and husband, I still need to revise a meal plan that is sure to keep us all healthy and away from the killer diabetes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment