Monday, July 19, 2010

Avent and Tommee Tippee:Product Primer Review

I’m on my second pregnancy right now and I’ve started to research for baby stuff to buy. I’m planning to exclusively breastfeed my baby and thought it should be the basis for the things on my shopping list.
Breast Pump
First, I’m going to need a trusty breastpump. With my first child, I didn’t bother to buy a pump since I said I’m not going to use it. Turns out, even if you nurse directly from your breasts, you’re really going to need a breastpump to express excess milk especially when baby is asleep or is still full. I suffered from engorged and aching breasts because I don’t have a pump. Good thing my SIL gave me her own breastpump. As for the brand, I think its from Bebe and it tortured me like hell! Its like squeezing an unriped lemon.

Just last week, I already received the Avent ISIS BPA-free Manual Breast Pump I bought from an online seller for like 90% off. I joined a forum for Pinoy parents and I’ve read great reviews of the product from experienced moms. Since I plan to continue on breastfeeding after my maternity leave, I’m hoping to make the most out of my Avent Breast Pump. I also bought a spare pump from Chicco for which I have yet to try. I’ll be writing a separate review for the breastpump once I use it.



Avent vs. Tommee Tippee
I would also need to invest on bottles and milk storage for my breastfeeding needs. Top two things I look for in bottles are: it should be BPA-free and anti-colic. I will be transferring my precious breastmilk in these bottles so they should also be safe when stored in a freezer or ref. I researched on various brands and came down to two choices: the BPA-free line of Avent bottles and the hard to find Tommee Tippee.

I already bought 5 BPA-free bottles from Avent (comes with a free bottle brush) and 2 Tommee Tippee bottles from their Closer to Nature line. I’m glad both brands were made in England. Compared to Avent, TT is hard to find here in the Philippines. I purchased my TT bottles at SM MOA when I went there last week for a work-related affair (to think that I reside 2 hours from that mall). I wanted to test both products first to see what suits my baby best.


Tommee Tippee Closure to Nature’s claim: Their uniquely shaped bottles are designed to help infants’ seamless transition between breast and bottle feeding. Suitable for working moms who want to continue giving breastmilk to their babies. The nipples are lifelike, soft, flexible and has a built-in valve to reduce air intake.
I will soon be posting my review for these two brands as soon as my newborn and I use it.

7 comments:

Shawntae @ alittlekingandi said...

Yes I breast pump is a must have. I got the medela pump in style and it saved my butt!! I loved it soo much.

Thanks for stopping by and saying hello! Your little one is soo cute and good luck with this pregnancy.

Bev said...

Hi shawntae! I'm also thinking of buying medela freestyle so I can maximize my time especially in the office.

I'm glad you dropped by my site! Thanks so much!

Badet Siazon said...

Thanks for this! I'm also scouting for breast pumps and other baby products as early as now. First time mommy here and I'm completely clueless on what to buy.

http://www.themisischronicles.com/

Stormy Seaworthy said...

I love my Tommee Tippee's! I only have three as I don't use the bottle much. He usually just drinks from the tap because I am a stay at home mom with the time to do so. But I wanted as you did - bottles that were BPA, anti-colic, and just over all good quality, and I wanted them to be breast-like as possible for when I did use bottles. I use them more often than I expect whether daddy is feeding him or I want it for convenience for when we are traveling or out and about doing errands.

I haven't tried Avent so I can't say which I prefer. But I can say I love them much more than the messy Playtex bottles I tried at first.

Stormy Seaworthy said...

Oh, and here in the states I found mine at Toys-R-Us (or Babies-R-Us) online. I don't know if they ship internationally.

Bev said...

Hi Badet! Many thanks for dropping by. Feel free to browse mommy experiences posted here.

Bev said...

Hi there Julia! I must agree. I also love Tommee Tippee!!! I actually bought a dozen bottles. My baby likes it more than avent. The nipple is super soft and wide, perfect for mimicking our breasts. There wasn't any nipple confusion too that's why I easily made a transition back to work.

Post a Comment